Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I NEED to work!

I am ending my sabatical from blogging. . . thanks to Lola (http://lolaagain.blogspot.com/) who commented on my lovely firemen first:) I know it's been quite a while since then. I did have a few weeks off of work thanks to my very interesting work schedule of 2 days a week (12 hour shifts), a week of vacation & then a week of low census in Labor & Delivery. Then I ended up teaching last Tues & Wed, worked the floor Thurs & Friday (people were getting very cozy 9 months ago!) & then I taught again on Saturday. I then had Sunday off only to jump right into another population explosion Monday & Tuesday. Today I am home with my rugrats. I did miss them. . .
Now that you know what I have been up to. . . there are SO MANY topics to discuss: Brett Favre. . . no comment. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle & since I don't have a whole lot of control over what happens (even though I'm a Brown County tax payer & help support the Packers), I choose to try to take it all in & watch what unfolds. He IS the best quarterback to ever walk the Frozen Tundra. Enough said.
Babysitters. . . boy, I hope none of mine read my blog. . . Do you remember when WE babysat? It's a new day, I know that. I just can't quite get how I got paid $2/hr to watch 3 kids under 3 years of age, got them fed, often bathed, put to bed on time, house cleaned up & extra housecleaning done & then finished my homework when I babysat. Maybe it's the letter "S" stamped onto my chest or the cape that I manage to wear. . .but man, I did a lot. I'm not asking that much from my babysitters. . . .all I'm asking is that the kids are taken care of - you know, played with/entertained without too much rough & tumble, Carter's diaper to be changed & the kids to be put to bed by about 8:30 or so - in their beds or somewhere close to their beds before watching TV. Oh, and I pay more than $2/hr - obviously inflation should count for something I guess. Oh, and rules??? We don't eat anywhere but in the kitchen. It's a fairly new house - I'd like to keep the place looking fairly good for a while. (I also hate scrubbing carpet & upholstery.) But lately there are remnants of supper & snacks throughout the great room & the hallway. . . when I ask the boys what the deal is with that. . .they tell me, of course, that it wasn't them. . .but it was the babysitter. And then Spencer, my oldest, pipes up - we told him there's not supposed to be eating in the living room but he said he is older so it's OK. NICE! Now, do I totally believe my kid? WHY WOULD MY KID LIE? HA! Well, I'm not THAT naive. . . I'm sure my kids have something to do with it. Obviously, I need to reinforce the rules a bit more. Just venting here. It's not just this particular sitter either. Before we moved we had sitter issues. In fact, there were times we'd come home & ALL of the leftovers from supper were still on the table - now wasted because they were not properly refrigerated. NICE.
SOLUTION??? I think I should start an Exceptional Babysitter Class. I could train young people the fine art of being excellent care providers as well as space management. . . really, most are making more than minimum wage, tax free I might add, and once they get the kiddos in bed they're sitting watching TV & eating snacks. This would improve customer service & maybe get them a raise. Call it job training:) I'll file that idea away. . .

Speaking of those little people I call my children. . . I need to go entertain them now. I do miss them. . . even their incessant fighting. . .

Oh, & this is my 100th post! Holy snikeys! I have to think of something fun. . . . . .well, maybe for the 101st!

Jen

2 comments:

Jana Nielson said...

I LOVE the idea of a babysitter class...can I send my 13 year od daughter???? She'd have to stay with you for a while (since you are so far away). I wouldn't mind being without a teen for a while!!

Bridget said...

Glad you're back, I've been waiting for a post- Happy 100th!
I know for a fact it was a pretty cold winter here so getting cozy was a must ;o).

As a teen I got $2 an hour no matter how many kids I watched and I left the house in the same or better condition than I found it. I'm sure I had to walk 20 miles to school uphill both ways as well.